AV Club Communists

Login to your account to post in this board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

AV Club Communists

Login to your account to post in this board!

AV Club Communists

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest topics

» Slings & Arrows (Spoilers)
by kingairwick Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 am

» General Comics || Spoilers
by Chicanery Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 am

» This Board Is Moving
by affrosponge88 Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 am

» The Dark Knight Rises
by tym218 Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:40 pm

» ATLAS SHRUGGED
by pulpcomics Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 pm

» Wes Anderson
by Semi-bored torontonian Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 am

» What are you listening to?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm

» What are you watching this holiday season?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 pm

» Homicide: Life on the Street
by digifreak642 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 pm

» Likes No Longer Visible
by affrosponge88 Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:29 pm

+6
Gauephat
DavetheDouchebag
Stephen77
Semi-bored torontonian
Capt. Blicero
affrosponge88
10 posters

Slings & Arrows (Spoilers)

affrosponge88
    affrosponge88
    Admin

Fav. Community Ep. : Remedial Chaos Theory

Slings & Arrows (Spoilers) - Page 2 Empty Slings & Arrows (Spoilers)

Post by affrosponge88 Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Slings & Arrows

Slings & Arrows (Spoilers) - Page 2 Slings10

Total Seasons Aired: 3
    Total Episodes: 18

Discuss the highly acclaimed Canadian drama that centers around a struggling Shakespeare troupe...

Last edited by affrosponge88 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total

affrosponge88
    Admin

Slings & Arrows (Spoilers) - Page 2 Empty Re: Slings & Arrows (Spoilers)

Post by affrosponge88 Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:27 am

I think another comment to be made about the show, is that the show almost seems to suggest there's a bit of theatricality to life itself. We all tend to overreact to things from time to time, and setting a drama that centers around a Shakespearean troupe, only invites these kind of implications.

Semi-bored torontonian

Post by Semi-bored torontonian Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:43 am

Yeah, theatricality (the good kind) is more apt, I think. Even if the situations are sometimes exaggerated, the emotional and psychological truth feels very authentic. The show is very good at constructing these low-key iconic moments (Geoffrey in jail is a good example; as is the scene where the guy at the team building exercise delivers Macbeth's soliloquy) that manage to tap into some very solid emotional truths.

affrosponge88
    Admin

Post by affrosponge88 Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Slings & Arrows Week 3 Discussion

Slings & Arrows (Spoilers) - Page 2 Slings11

Hello all, and welcome to Week 3 of our official Slings & Arrows discussion. This week we will be discussing episodes 5 and 6 of season one. We've reached the end of a great season of television, and now we can finally talk about the season as a whole, and these final two episodes, of course. Since we're done with S1, along with discussion of the series, we can also discuss what we want to do with the future of these discussions... The way I see it is we have three options:
    -Drop these discussions altogether and continue watching the show at our own discretion.
    -Continue with the system we've got for the second and third seasons, albeit after the holidays.
    -Continue with these discussions, but add more episodes to a week, ie. discuss 3 episodes one week, and 3 another, or set a date to watch an entire season by, and have a discussion then.

Let me know how you feel, the only thing I'll add is all future seasons will be hosted at the new forum, due to the fact that I'd really like to fully switch over as soon as possible.

But alas, we still have two more episodes to talk about...

This week's episodes:

• "Mirror up to Nature:" Geoffrey assumes the direction of Hamlet and Richard and Holly assume that a disaster is just around the corner. Oliver's ghost frees Ellen's pet chameleon and Ophelia is recast.

• "Playing the Swan:" It's opening night for Hamlet and though Jack has shown promise, insidious words from Richard send him running. Ellen and Geoffrey finally talk about the breakdown and the events leading up to it, and if they can find their star, the show must go on!

Let the discussion begin!

UnregisteredGuyNamedEric

Post by UnregisteredGuyNamedEric Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:29 am

These final 2 episodes of S1 are so satisfying. The whole season is one of the biggest swings from cringe-y, uncertain dramedy into catharsis and excitement I've ever seen on a show (in only 6 episodes).

Especially the slow revelation of Geoffery. He's never precisely redeemed socially, except that he proves to be able to communicate through Shakespeare more directly than any other person on the show can communicate with anyone else. The slow dawning of this is just so much fun.

It started back in ep 3 (I think) when he taught the guy on the Corporate Team Building Exercise to speak through the play what he couldn't in his everyday life. But while that was both fun and a little cheesy, it was just a set-up for the connection Geoffery makes with Jack, who nearly everyone else sees as shallow. But Geoffery sees Hamlet in him.

The Episode 5 performance montage of the play, when it all comes off, is such an exciting, moving peak and a payoff of everything that's come before. The sense of protagonists beating the odds has maybe never been as tangible in a show for me, because I didn't really see it coming and then it hit me all at once.

After it, Episode 6 is a more bittersweet but equally as touching final chapter. Everyone seems at peace, at least for a moment. The "three monologues"approach to Hamlet is pretty cool, too.

I like Jack and Kate, probably as much as I like any Slings & Arrows couple, and especially by episode 6. I can't say Holly entirely worked for me. The show has room for a somewhat hysterical villain, but she goes a little too far IMO and is finally never much more than shrill and manipulative. Then again, her scenes with Richard are fairly entertaining, and I like basically any time Mark McKinney's onstage.

On rewatch, almost everything in this season is both enjoyable and functional for the overall story, themes and emotions. But that basically goes for all 3 seasons of S&A.

Semi-bored torontonian

Post by Semi-bored torontonian Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:22 am

I'm unforgivably late to the party, and I haven't even watched the episodes (I'll remedy this in about 10 days), but I'd very much like to continue the discussion, in whichever format (or forum) you'd like. Personally, I'm more partial to two episodes a week, which seems like a very reasonable number, but I can live with more.
    kingairwick
    kingairwick

Fav. Community Ep. : Regional Holiday Music

Post by kingairwick Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 am

I started watching yesterday and I'm just beginning season two (sorry, I can't help myself).

"Stand left of Laertes on your entrance."
    "I'm going to throw up."
    "Use it."

I thought it was really interesting how the mantle of Hamlet was passed on so effortlessly from Geoffrey to Jack. It makes sense why both characters have such a strong connection to the character and why Geoffrey would be so convinced Jack could handle the role. I have to admit, I was waiting for a tense moment during the premiere when Hamlet is next to Ophelia's grave, but it never showed up. I think I do like the show for subverting my expectations in that way. I kind of understand what's meant by the realism, because the characters don't have the big, heavy revelatory or cathartic moments in the way that other TV and movie characters do. Development is brought about much more naturally and usually paired with everyday neuroses.

Also, while I agree with the theatricality of it all (which is fun!) it really does ring true for behind-the-scenes, since the cast and crew are naturally going to be more inclined toward drama and self-doubt.

P.S. Maria is fantastic and I know crew members who are exactly like her.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:58 pm