AV Club Communists

Login to your account to post in this board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

AV Club Communists

Login to your account to post in this board!

AV Club Communists

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest topics

» Slings & Arrows (Spoilers)
by kingairwick Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 am

» General Comics || Spoilers
by Chicanery Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 am

» This Board Is Moving
by affrosponge88 Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 am

» The Dark Knight Rises
by tym218 Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:40 pm

» ATLAS SHRUGGED
by pulpcomics Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 pm

» Wes Anderson
by Semi-bored torontonian Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 am

» What are you listening to?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm

» What are you watching this holiday season?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 pm

» Homicide: Life on the Street
by digifreak642 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 pm

» Likes No Longer Visible
by affrosponge88 Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:29 pm

+2
Stephen77
affrosponge88
6 posters

What are you watching this holiday season?

affrosponge88
    affrosponge88
    Admin

Fav. Community Ep. : Remedial Chaos Theory

What are you watching this holiday season? Empty What are you watching this holiday season?

Post by affrosponge88 Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:04 pm

What are those films you're watching for the holidays? These can be annual traditions, or new additions to the roster.

For me, I like choosing films that aren't about Christmas, but instead use it as a background setting.

I'm definitely going to watch The Apartment at some point, because it's one of my all time favorites, and I love that it takes place during Christmastime (and later during New Years). It's oddly fitting that the story of a lonely man, blinded by corporate ambition, would have a Christmas backdrop.

Eyes Wide Shut will also get watched at some point, because Kubrick goes all out with the lighting in this film, and what better holiday is there than Christmastime to play with lighting?

Also, I need to watch something heartwarming, so In Bruges will be my holiday cheer film! Seriously, Christmas is not complete without it.

Last, but not least: I'll also be watching Fanny and Alexander at some point over break, because I watched it for the first time last Christmas break, and I can't imagine having another holiday season without it. It truly is a wonderful film.
    Stephen77
    Stephen77

Fav. Community Ep. : Calligraphy or Mixology: you can't make me choose!

What are you watching this holiday season? Empty Re: What are you watching this holiday season?

Post by Stephen77 Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:30 pm

I always watch some version of A Christmas Carol every Christmas. There's only been a couple Christmas' in which I have missed it. I've also made it a goal to watch It's a Wonderful Life every Christmas ever first watching it just a few years ago.

I think I'll check out The Apartment as well. I've been wanting to watch it and learning it is set during the Christmas season gives me more incentive to watch it as soon as I can.

I also watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation almost every year.
    Traegonometry
    Traegonometry

Fav. Community Ep. : ;)

What are you watching this holiday season? Empty Re: What are you watching this holiday season?

Post by Traegonometry Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Stephen77 wrote:There's only been a couple Christmas' in which I have missed it. I've also made it a goal to watch It's a Wonderful Life every Christmas ever first watching it just a few years ago.

I watch about a million Christmas movies every year, but It's a Wonderful Life might be my favourite.

My family used to host a Christmas eve party every year when my parents were still together and we'd invite relatives from both sides of the family. No one was ever my age so I'd generally wander off to do something else while everyone else was merrymaking. The TV seemed to be left at my local CBC station and every year It's a Wonderful Life was on. I'd sit and watch this old, black and white movie by myself and despite being a stupid kid who tended to not like those things, there was something about this movie that really clicked with me. I'm not sure at what age I'd actually seen the whole thing but I'd figured out the story from going back and forth between my family and my TV pretty early on and I'd always try to sneak back to it. The older I got the more the movie affected me and the more I felt the need to drag people into the living room to watch it with me.

The first year in the new house, things sort of sucked. The old house that my dad's living in now is pretty great, and it's the super greatest at Christmas. We used to cut down a tree from our backyard and we'd had lots of other little traditions that we lost when we moved. Being in a new house and the fragmented family we'd became sucked especially at Christmas when there's no end to the media telling you how important family and togetherness and having everything perfect for Christmas is. I had to deal with managing my time between my Mom and my Dad's family in a way that hurt people's feelings as little as possible. My mom was a combination of accepting and passive aggressively letting us know she hated us spending time with my dad and his family. My dad was extremely punchable and the same way but I wanted to keep in touch with my grandparents and aunts and uncles so I went with him. It didn't help that my brother and sister basically just got angry about the whole thing rather than trying to do anything about it so I became the leader of my siblings by default, which is the best way to get anything. It was stressful and incredibly nerve wracking, but, like, whatever man. I got through it.

This was the year I decided my family was going to fall in love with It's a Wonderful Life. I'd heard people talk about it being a classic so I was surprised that no one else in my now slightly fragmented family really liked it. My mom had somehow never watched it through the whole way and wasn't really sure whether she liked it, my sister thought it was just depressing and my brother didn't like it because he was dumb. Despite the majority of my family having no real attachment to the movie we'd had a VHS copy of the movie for years that we'd brought over when we moved and I managed to convince my family to sit down and watch it with me. It turns out, they all actually loved it when they were able to watch the whole thing. So I found my family a new tradition, and we've watched it every year since.
    glazomaniac
    glazomaniac

Fav. Community Ep. : Paradigms of Human Memory

Post by glazomaniac Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:12 pm

my family watches die hard, wonderful life, and white christmas every year. i will probably catch a few other christmas films along the way, depending on what's on.

earlier this year, i watched one called a christmas tale, which was a newer family drama film that was an interesting mix of dark and uplifting. it's not gonna become a tradition, but it's a decent enough film that i could recommend it to others.
    affrosponge88
    affrosponge88
    Admin

Fav. Community Ep. : Remedial Chaos Theory

Post by affrosponge88 Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:15 pm

glazomaniac wrote: earlier this year, i watched one called a christmas tale, which was a newer family drama film that was an interesting mix of dark and uplifting. it's not gonna become a tradition, but it's a decent enough film that i could recommend it to others.

I like that film a lot. Not quite what I was expecting, but the family interplay was great. I'll probably end up watching it this year, actually, because I love dysfunctional Christmases!
    tym218

Fav. Community Ep. : Paradigms of Human Memory

Post by tym218 Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:35 pm

Every year I watch:
    - Home alone 1&2
    - Jingle All The Way (HILARIOUS!)
    - Usually one of the Charlie Brown christmas specials if it is on TV
    - Christmas Vacation
    kingairwick
    kingairwick

Fav. Community Ep. : Regional Holiday Music

Post by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 pm

I don't really have a Christmas tradition (seeing as how I'm Jewish and it's the only holiday my mom barely celebrates), but I just made a huge list of potential movies for my club to watch. I've been watching at least one Christmas movie a day (yesterday was While You Were Sleeping) and today I'm going to try for Home Alone since I haven't seen those movies in forever.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:09 pm