AV Club Communists

Login to your account to post in this board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

AV Club Communists

Login to your account to post in this board!

AV Club Communists

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest topics

» Slings & Arrows (Spoilers)
by kingairwick Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 am

» General Comics || Spoilers
by Chicanery Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 am

» This Board Is Moving
by affrosponge88 Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 am

» The Dark Knight Rises
by tym218 Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:40 pm

» ATLAS SHRUGGED
by pulpcomics Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 pm

» Wes Anderson
by Semi-bored torontonian Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 am

» What are you listening to?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm

» What are you watching this holiday season?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 pm

» Homicide: Life on the Street
by digifreak642 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 pm

» Likes No Longer Visible
by affrosponge88 Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:29 pm

5 posters

General Comics || Spoilers

Chicanery
    Chicanery

Fav. Community Ep. : Basic Lupine Urology

General Comics || Spoilers Empty General Comics || Spoilers

Post by Chicanery Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:27 pm

I'm not good at titles.

Okay, so in this thread the idea is that we (or maybe just I) discuss what we picked up this Wednesday. Obviously, graphic novels and back issues can be discussed as well, but the primary focus will be new issues. You may want to make a seperate thread if you wish to talk about a specific series (e.g. Hellblazer Frankenstein Justice League International Animal Man), or specific runs (Jamie Delano's Captain Britain). Spoilers are unhidden.

Anyway, week of 28/11/12:

Adventure Time #10- This is a weak issue, relying way too hard on the choose-your-own-adventure gimmick. It's certainly not bad, but it's far too busy to call good. The back-up story was decent, but nothing essential. The weird art style is probably the most memorable part of it. Definitely the weakest issue so far, probably designed to pull new readers in. Main 5/10, Back-Up 6/10.

Talon #2 - This issue I'm not too sure on. While there's definitely some great moments and messed up imagery, e.g. killing a Talon with molten gold, the pacing is really weird. I've a feeling it's being pushed forward by editorial to tie in with the next big event. Some of the character interaction is a bit un-natural, with the MotW expositing about his childhood mid-fight. Some good exploration of Talon's motives, but the pace brings it down to average. 6/10

Thor: God of Thunder #2 - While not as fantastic as the opening issue, Aaron and Ribic do a good job of making The God Butcher a threat and the art is stellar. Young Thor is shaping up to be an interesting character, and I do want to see how he becomes the modern Thor. The issue suffers a bit for telling rather than showing, especially when Thor is fighting The God Butcher, but is otherwise great. 8/10

Justice League Dark #14 - What happened Lemire? Awful issue, sidetracking the story and characters so they can tie the book into whatever big event that will change history forever. Constantine is acting strangely heroic, and it looks like there'll be a Justice League crossover. The only upside was Frankenstein, doing them things that he do. 3/10

All-Star Western #14 - Bad week for DC, this issue is pretty bad. Poorly structured nonsense that serves only to get Tallulah Black out of the cast. I normally like Moritat's art, but it seemed really rushed this month, a lot of plain colour backgrounds and weird faces. A departure from his normally intricate backdrops. Hyde is not an interesting villian in the slightest, and I have a feeling Palmiotti and Gray realise this, since they abruptly ended the Gotham goes crazy arc by saying the magic crazy juice has worn off/the users are all dead. The Tomahawk back-up continues to be the dullest thing imaginable. Stilted dialogue, uninteresting historical and political detail, no characterisation. A rare case of everything being wrong. Main 4/10, Back-Up 1/10.
    thebongoes
    thebongoes

Fav. Community Ep. : Remedial Chaos Theory

General Comics || Spoilers Empty Re: General Comics || Spoilers

Post by thebongoes Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:20 pm

I like this idea. I will post when I get my comics tomorrow.
    thebongoes
    thebongoes

Post by thebongoes Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Chicanery wrote:Talon #2 - This issue I'm not too sure on. While there's definitely some great moments and messed up imagery, e.g. killing a Talon with molten gold, the pacing is really weird. I've a feeling it's being pushed forward by editorial to tie in with the next big event. Some of the character interaction is a bit un-natural, with the MotW expositing about his childhood mid-fight. Some good exploration of Talon's motives, but the pace brings it down to average. 6/10

Yeah, I totally agree. I'm not really liking this series.

Batman Inc. #5 - This, now this is why I read comics. Just fantastic from start to finish. Burnham's art is amazing and Morrison's labyrinth plot is all coming together in spectacular fashion. I'm not really sure what else to say about this. 9.5/10

FF #1 - I've been very excited for this series since it was first announced. I love Mike Allred and Fraction is really on a roll now. The part with Medusa felt too short, but the scenes between Mr. Fantastic and Ant-Man made up for it. I'm really looking forward to more of this book. 8.5/10

The Flash #14 Sigh. This book is always nice to look at but sadly this issue just felt off. The dialogue between the Rouges was not at it's best and this felt like an odd time to pick up the "Iris is lost in the Speed Force" sub plot. Manapul's layouts continue to be great, but he didn't seem to be innovating that much with the art like he usually does. Still, it was entertaining and nice to look at. 6.5/10
    Chicanery
    Chicanery

Post by Chicanery Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:43 pm

I actually really enjoyed Talon 0 and 1, 2 was problematic due to pacing. I'm blaming DC editiorial, I've a feeling they want him official Bat family before Trinity War.

I love how he's an actual hero who's made mistakes but is trying to make up for it. He'd be unremarkable pre-New 52, but he's the exception these days.

We need to schedule comics to buy or otherwise acquire so we can discuss them here. Or les do a fucking podcast lad.
    thebongoes
    thebongoes

Post by thebongoes Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:46 pm

I think we'd need another person, since we don't seem to read a lot of the same comics. I will tell you when I read Thor #2 though. I loved #1, but there wan't much to discuss. I really like how Thor could be summoned by prayer, that's something I never thought of before.

As for Talon, I like Calvin Rose, but I'm so tired of the Court of Owls, who I didn't find that interesting in the first place. Maybe if their arc in Batman was only 5 or 6 issues instead of 10 I wouldn't be so sick of them.
    Chicanery
    Chicanery

Post by Chicanery Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Haven't been following Batman. It sold out in an hour for the first 6 issues or so.
    thebongoes
    thebongoes

Post by thebongoes Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Wow. That's crazy. Well if you can I do recommend it. It does drag a bit during the first arc, but it is still pretty good. And the current arc with the Joker's return in issues 13 and 14 (so far) has been fantastic. Actually I'd recommend just jumping in with issue 13. It's really great.
    Chicanery
    Chicanery

Post by Chicanery Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:44 pm

I'm budgeted right now, but I'll check it out if it's cheap. I'm on 11 issues a month and I overspent for November because of the Hellblazer reprints.
    thebongoes
    thebongoes

Post by thebongoes Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:48 pm

Yeah, that's why I've been reading more stuff through... alternative methods. Comics are expensive. I'm pretty much at my limit.
    Chicanery
    Chicanery

Post by Chicanery Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Yeah, $3.99 issues are $5.29 for me and $2.99 issues are $3.93. You get them relatively cheaply.
    thebongoes
    thebongoes

Post by thebongoes Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Oof. Yeah, I can't imagine that. At those prices I'd be reading way less than I am.
    pulpcomics

Post by pulpcomics Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:05 am

i really need to buy some adventure time comics. i think ill do that tomorrow.
    thebongoes
    thebongoes

Post by thebongoes Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Are we still doing this? I'll post anyway.

Avengers #1 - I wasn't gonna get this but I'm very glad I did. Jonathan Hickman is taking a mythic approach to The Avengers that I've never seen before which works perfectly with Jermoe Opena's art (also his Hulk looks hilarious). I have no idea where he's gonna go with this, as Hickman usually takes a while to really get going, but I'm excited to see where this leads. And I can't wait to see the rest of the supposedly HUGE team. 9/10

Action Comics #15 - Morrison is tying everything together now. It's the story of a mad little imp getting revenge in any way he can and Superman getting caught in the crossfire. A story that takes place in the past present and future where Superman's being affected by things that haven't even happened yet. This is my favourite kind of Superman story, one where he's got impossible odds that are kind of hard to even understand, but you just know he's gonna win anyway. Rags Morales's pages are a little disappointing but only in comparison to Brad Walker who is awesome. 10/10

Hawkeye #5 - A fun end to a short arc, with a nice twist at the end. I'm not sure Javier Pudilo is a good a fit for this book as Aja is, but his art looks nice so I can't complain too much. 8/10

Animal Man - Rotworld is really starting to drag. Not even Frankenstein seems to liven it up. Hopefully the reveal at the end will lead to something interesting next issue and not just more walking around talking about what they're gonna do. 5/10
    kingairwick
    kingairwick

Fav. Community Ep. : Regional Holiday Music

Post by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm only getting into comics, and I'm mostly into Marvel, so I'm halfway through Civil War and reading from the Silver Age beginning. I know it's kind of crazy, but I don't really know where else to start. I mean, I could pick up Avengers #1, but I feel like I'd be missing out on so much.

That said, I picked up the first couple of Hawkeye's, and I'm not as in love with the first issue as others seem to be. It probably deserves a re-read, but I found it kind of predictable and not that great visually.
    thebongoes
    thebongoes

Post by thebongoes Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:12 am

Nah, you could get Avengers #1 and not miss out on too much probably. I'm kind of stunned you don't think Hawkeye is that great visually, that's one of the biggest reasons I gave it a try. It's so simple and clean and Aja does great stuff with the layouts and storytelling, plus Hollingsworth's colours are fantastic.
    pulpcomics

Post by pulpcomics Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:41 pm

i bought more issues of the goon which is still as good as it use to be. i'm really really glad that eric powell is back putting out an issue bi monthly
    Chicanery
    Chicanery

Post by Chicanery Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:51 pm

Oh dear, Civil War. Possibly the worst idea Marvel has had, giving Mark Millar a job. If you're looking to get into comics, I'd recommend the obvious titles:

Watchmen,
    All-Star Superman,
    Kingdom Come,
    Gotham Central,
    Y: The Last Man,
    Alan Moore's Superman stories,
    Gail Simone's Wonder Woman,
    Grant Morrison's Animal Man.

All finished titles, collected in TPBs. Easy enough to track down, and runs that work without context. There are a few in there that push the conventions of the medium and others that are just plain fun.

If you're looking to get into modern on-goings, you've picked a good time with Marvel NOW! starting. There are plenty of titles on the shelves that require little to no background reading, e.g. Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder, Mark Waid's Daredevil, Ryan North's Adventure Time (but watch the show first). There's also Brian K. Vaughan's Saga, but it can be hard to track down in single issue format.

@bongoes: You were offline for a week, so I didn't bother! But here goes.

Hellboy: In Hell #1: Not much to say other than it's a cool story. Very decompressed, so I'll refrain from judging it other than to say it's very odd, very well drawn, and very funny. 8/10

Adventure Time Presents: Marceline and the Scream Queens #6 (of 6): I was collecting this out of duty in the end. It's not that good a series, but the last issue was a marked improvement. Great character moments, although a bit quick with the resolution. The back up was pure brilliance though, with a throwback style echoing underground comix of the 70s and 80s. 6/10 main, 9/10 back up.

Journery into Mystery #646: This was some Viking ass shit. Just pure madness. Full of big ideas and Kirby style larger-than-life characters. This issue is a jumping-on point for me, and it introduced Sif well. She's a cray-cray warrior Goddess who'll literally go to Hell to make herself stronger. A good introduction. 7.5/10

Avenging Spider-Man #16: Well, at least I don't have to pick this title up anymore. Some cool Spider-Man art, the thick eye-lines remind me of Ditko's Spidey, so that was a treat. Not much else to recommend it, unless you really like Fire-Breathing Dinosaur fights. 5/10
    Traegonometry
    Traegonometry

Fav. Community Ep. : ;)

Post by Traegonometry Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:00 pm

I haven't read comics regularly for a couple years but a Spider-Man comic with this:
    Chicanery wrote:Fire-Breathing Dinosaur fights. 100000000/10
    sounds like a great reason I should start again.
    Chicanery
    Chicanery

Post by Chicanery Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:38 am

Spider-Man is being retooled at the end of the month, so there's a jumping on point I guess?
    kingairwick
    kingairwick

Fav. Community Ep. : Regional Holiday Music

Post by kingairwick Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:36 am

Well there's no equivalent thread on the new boards so I guess I'll just post here.

I've read Watchmen and tried Y, although I found it incredibly difficult to get through what with the gender issues and all. I've actually read a good number of graphic novels/TPB, but I'm looking to get into the greater Marvel universe or current issues, like you said. I'll give Marvel Now! a try although my main point is that I don't know which series are good or not and I'd like to invest money wisely. The reason I'm reading so far back is because I always do this with new interests, I've seen every episode of DW since 1963. I like being able to bring full backstory perspective to a story.
    Chicanery
    Chicanery

Post by Chicanery Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 am

The first two volumes of Y aren't great, but I found 3-5 to be fantastics. Oh, and the gender issues? The Daughters of the Amazon are meant to be wrong and crazy.

Characterisation improves like crazy after the town arc, and I didn't find much wrong with BKV's gender views.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:11 am