AV Club Communists

Login to your account to post in this board!

Latest topics

» Slings & Arrows (Spoilers)
by kingairwick Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 am

» General Comics || Spoilers
by Chicanery Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 am

» This Board Is Moving
by affrosponge88 Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 am

» The Dark Knight Rises
by tym218 Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:40 pm

» ATLAS SHRUGGED
by pulpcomics Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 pm

» Wes Anderson
by Semi-bored torontonian Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 am

» What are you listening to?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm

» What are you watching this holiday season?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 pm

» Homicide: Life on the Street
by digifreak642 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 pm

» Likes No Longer Visible
by affrosponge88 Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Was Harmon too in love with the characters?

Gauephat

Was Harmon too in love with the characters?

Post by Gauephat on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:45 pm

We haven't actually done any real discussion of Community here, so here's a prompt. This may sound like a weird question, but it's something I've been thinking about for a while. It popped into my head as season 3 was airing, and it has been floating around in my brain since then.

Based on his interviews, his Twitter persona, commentaries, etc. I think we can all conclude that Dan Harmon is a guy who gets emotionally involved. He's passionate about things, and it was clear he was passionate about Community. His burning passion for the show was essentially what got it made, and one could easily conjecture that it was also what got him fired.

I wonder, however, whether his love of the characters in particular hurt the show. I get the sense that Harmon loved the melodrama. That he loved the shipping. That he thought the best scenes were the ones where people looked at each other while uplifting music played. That he was so in love with the characters that, say, just the notion of Abed making a kind gesture to Pierce (and getting repaid by a hug) would make him cry.

I also wonder if his love kind of blinded him to a lot of the other problems season 3 had... it's easy to come up with examples of fans who are so in love with the show that they refuse to acknowledge anything wrong with it, and I can imagine the potential for falling into that trap is even greater if you created the characters yourself.

Just a thought.
    enemynarwhal

Re: Was Harmon too in love with the characters?

Post by enemynarwhal on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 pm

I think the problem had more to do with his love for his audience. He says it in tons of interviews, he's a crowd pleaser and gave the audience what they wanted. Maybe not in every case but he definitely catered a lot and this is pretty apparent in how wild and crazy season three was.
    affrosponge88
    Admin

Fav. Community Ep. : Remedial Chaos Theory

Post by affrosponge88 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Yeah, if we would have got more "Harmon" and less "pandering" (which is not an insult, but the only word I can think of right now), we would've gotten more "Critical Film Studies," "Mixology Certification," and "Remedial Chaos Theory," and less concept episodes just for the sake of them. Even though they're great on their own, they kind of stifled the show's development in my eyes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:24 am