AV Club Communists

Login to your account to post in this board!

Latest topics

» Slings & Arrows (Spoilers)
by kingairwick Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 am

» General Comics || Spoilers
by Chicanery Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 am

» This Board Is Moving
by affrosponge88 Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 am

» The Dark Knight Rises
by tym218 Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:40 pm

» ATLAS SHRUGGED
by pulpcomics Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 pm

» Wes Anderson
by Semi-bored torontonian Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 am

» What are you listening to?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm

» What are you watching this holiday season?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 pm

» Homicide: Life on the Street
by digifreak642 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 pm

» Likes No Longer Visible
by affrosponge88 Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:29 pm


    Best of 2012

    Share
    avatar
    affrosponge88
    Admin

    Posts : 146
    Points : 2115
    Reputation : 170
    Fav. Community Ep. : Remedial Chaos Theory
    Age : 25
    Join date : 2012-11-25

    Best of 2012

    Post by affrosponge88 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:56 pm

    Come on people, what are some of the best stuff (songs or albums released this year?)

    Me personally? I listened to The Mountain Goats' newest album the most. With Frank Ocean's Channel Orange right behind.

    avatar
    Stephen77

    Posts : 79
    Points : 1919
    Reputation : 76
    Fav. Community Ep. : Calligraphy or Mixology: you can't make me choose!
    Age : 26
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by Stephen77 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:58 pm

    New Mountain Goats is so good!

    Channel Orange is tops for me though, with Fiona Apple and Titus Andronicus' Local Business right behind.

    Older Than My Old Man Now is probably right behind those.
    avatar
    stingo

    Posts : 42
    Points : 1818
    Reputation : 45
    Fav. Community Ep. : Cooperative Calligraphy
    Age : 29
    Join date : 2012-11-27

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by stingo on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:01 pm

    I've been listening to Woods' Bend Beyond a lot lately. It's much better than I was expecting.

    avatar
    barnitosupreme

    Posts : 16
    Points : 1763
    Reputation : 15
    Fav. Community Ep. : Paradigms of Human Memory
    Age : 22
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by barnitosupreme on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 am

    Channel Orange was my favorite with Blunderbuss close behind.
    avatar
    Traegonometry

    Posts : 23
    Points : 1798
    Reputation : 45
    Fav. Community Ep. : ;)
    Age : 101
    Join date : 2012-11-27

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by Traegonometry on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:09 am

    Frank Ocean? More like Frank NOcean! Cool

    Celebration Rock by a band no one has talked about at all this year is probably tops for me tied with Channel Orange! More like Channel NOrange! afro

    Beach House's Bloom and The Walkmen's Heaven get honourable mentions.
    avatar
    kingairwick

    Posts : 39
    Points : 1802
    Reputation : 30
    Fav. Community Ep. : Regional Holiday Music
    Age : 27
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by kingairwick on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:29 am

    But I STILL WAKE UP I still see your ghost

    Woah oh ooooooh oh woah
    avatar
    DavetheDouchebag

    Posts : 16
    Points : 1775
    Reputation : 29
    Fav. Community Ep. : Mixology Certification
    Age : 22
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by DavetheDouchebag on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:50 am

    I haven't listened to as much music as I would have liked this year, but there are a few albums that stand out to me. Channel Orange used to be my number one, but after listening to it a lot, I realize I've gotten sort of tired of it to a certain extent. Right now I think my favorite album of the year is probably either Iris Dement's Sing the Delta and the Pet Shop Boy's Elysium. After those two albums I would probably rank Channel Orange and Fiona Apple's album as my favorites of the year.
    avatar
    affrosponge88
    Admin

    Posts : 146
    Points : 2115
    Reputation : 170
    Fav. Community Ep. : Remedial Chaos Theory
    Age : 25
    Join date : 2012-11-25

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by affrosponge88 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:09 am

    I'm actually writing up a "Top 5 Albums of 2012" for my school newspaper right now, and after actually looking at what got released and evaluating how much I liked them, my list was as follows:

    5. Coexist by The XX
    4. Channel Orange by Frank Ocean
    3. Transcendental Youth by The Mountain Goats
    2. Older Than My Old Man Now by Loudon Wainwright III
    1. Port of Morrow by The Shins

    A note about my number one: this definitely isn't the best album of the year, but I completely forgot that it was released in 2012, and if I'm being honest, it didn't leave my car CD player for months.


    _________________
    Good member and bad member left for the day. I'm a different kind of member.
    avatar
    enemynarwhal

    Posts : 35
    Points : 1815
    Reputation : 48
    Age : 24
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by enemynarwhal on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:35 am




    That's my favorite song of the year (maybe all time), The Club Hits of Today Will Be the Showtunes of Tomorrow, off of my favorite album of the year, Ramshackle Glory - Who Are Your Friends Gonna Be?





    That's my second favorite song off the same album!


    I also like Death Grips.

    avatar
    Stephen77

    Posts : 79
    Points : 1919
    Reputation : 76
    Fav. Community Ep. : Calligraphy or Mixology: you can't make me choose!
    Age : 26
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by Stephen77 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:33 am

    My Tentative Top Ten:
    1. Channel Orange - Frank Ocean
    2. The Idler Wheel... - Fiona Apple
    3. Local Business - Titus Andronicus
    4. Agnostic Hymns and Stoner Fables - Todd Snider
    5. Older Than My Old Man Now - Loudon Wainwright III
    6. C.A.R. - Serengeti
    7. 1991 - Azealia Banks
    8. Celebration Rock - Japandroids
    9. A Thing Called Divine Fits - Divine Fits
    10. Perfectly Imperfect - Elle Varner

    (Need to listen to Transcendental Youth and a few others a bit more before deciding how much I like them.)
    avatar
    Chicanery

    Posts : 54
    Points : 1813
    Reputation : 26
    Fav. Community Ep. : Basic Lupine Urology
    Age : 23
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by Chicanery on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:42 am

    No surprise for anyone:

    El-P - Cancer 4 Cure
    Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
    The Mark Lanegan Band - Blues Funeral
    MA DOOM - Son of Yvonne

    That's actually all I've liked this year.
    avatar
    Stephen77

    Posts : 79
    Points : 1919
    Reputation : 76
    Fav. Community Ep. : Calligraphy or Mixology: you can't make me choose!
    Age : 26
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by Stephen77 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:17 pm

    affrosponge88 wrote:I'm actually writing up a "Top 5 Albums of 2012" for my school newspaper right now, and after actually looking at what got released and evaluating how much I liked them, my list was as follows:

    5. Coexist by The XX
    4. Channel Orange by Frank Ocean
    3. Transcendental Youth by The Mountain Goats
    2. Older Than My Old Man Now by Loudon Wainwright III
    1. Port of Morrow by The Shins

    A note about my number one: this definitely isn't the best album of the year, but I completely forgot that it was released in 2012, and if I'm being honest, it didn't leave my car CD player for months.

    I hope you send a list by the way, so that Older Than My Old Man Now can get some real love.
    avatar
    kingairwick

    Posts : 39
    Points : 1802
    Reputation : 30
    Fav. Community Ep. : Regional Holiday Music
    Age : 27
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by kingairwick on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:27 pm

    I actually listen to surprisingly little up to date music. I did really, really like Port of Morrow. I guess I don't really know where to go for decent current music rec's, since I wouldn't touch Pitchfork with a pitchfork.
    avatar
    glazomaniac

    Posts : 47
    Points : 1836
    Reputation : 56
    Fav. Community Ep. : Paradigms of Human Memory
    Age : 35
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by glazomaniac on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:57 pm

    this year, i made headway into really getting to know sunshine pop, a brand of light, airy pop music from the late 1960s, and i delved deeper into 70s hard rock, hi-nrg, and "call me maybe."

    i don't listen to much new music.

    tym218

    Posts : 14
    Points : 1752
    Reputation : 2
    Fav. Community Ep. : Paradigms of Human Memory
    Age : 71
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by tym218 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:12 pm

    I got into a small band called The Postelles. Kinda indie/50s rock-ish but they haven't actually released anything this year besides one song off an album due early next year.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wkVbOsRJ5M
    avatar
    odduck

    Posts : 71
    Points : 1831
    Reputation : 12
    Fav. Community Ep. : Regional Holiday Music
    Join date : 2012-11-29

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by odduck on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:08 pm

    I'm still hoping the Vampire Weekend album will be released by the end of the year and then, hopefully, I'll have one favorite thing to list.
    avatar
    kingairwick

    Posts : 39
    Points : 1802
    Reputation : 30
    Fav. Community Ep. : Regional Holiday Music
    Age : 27
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by kingairwick on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:04 pm

    glazomaniac wrote:this year, i made headway into really getting to know sunshine pop, a brand of light, airy pop music from the late 1960s, and i delved deeper into 70s hard rock, hi-nrg, and "call me maybe."

    i don't listen to much new music.

    Like, Monkees light pop or Donovan light pop?
    avatar
    glazomaniac

    Posts : 47
    Points : 1836
    Reputation : 56
    Fav. Community Ep. : Paradigms of Human Memory
    Age : 35
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by glazomaniac on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:26 pm

    like the mamas and the papas, the free design, october country, "barefoot in baltimore" style strawberry alarm clock, and so forth.
    avatar
    glazomaniac

    Posts : 47
    Points : 1836
    Reputation : 56
    Fav. Community Ep. : Paradigms of Human Memory
    Age : 35
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by glazomaniac on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:30 pm

    free design:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPaAb3F_d6M

    avatar
    Stephen77

    Posts : 79
    Points : 1919
    Reputation : 76
    Fav. Community Ep. : Calligraphy or Mixology: you can't make me choose!
    Age : 26
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by Stephen77 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:28 pm

    This is a really really good year for R&B in my opinion. Frank Ocean obviously set the bar very high with Channel Orange and I don't think anyone has surpassed that. But Elle Varner and Miguel have both released excellent material ("Refill" and "Adorn" are stand out tracks for the entire 2012 year) and now I've been listening to Solange Knowles' EP True which is fantastic as well.

    I think hip-hop has had a solid year too. Love Azealia Banks and Serengeti the most. I really liked the new The Coup album and Kendrick Lamar's album was solid, if overrated, as well. I would put those ahead of Killer Mike which I still liked. Even Cruel Summer has some really good stuff although it's followed by a lot of forgettable half-assedry
    avatar
    stingo

    Posts : 42
    Points : 1818
    Reputation : 45
    Fav. Community Ep. : Cooperative Calligraphy
    Age : 29
    Join date : 2012-11-27

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by stingo on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:31 pm

    Stephen77 wrote:This is a really really good year for R&B in my opinion. Frank Ocean obviously set the bar very high with Channel Orange and I don't think anyone has surpassed that. But Elle Varner and Miguel have both released excellent material ("Refill" and "Adorn" are stand out tracks for the entire 2012 year) and now I've been listening to Solange Knowles' EP True which is fantastic as well.

    I think hip-hop has had a solid year too. Love Azealia Banks and Serengeti the most. I really liked the new The Coup album and Kendrick Lamar's album was solid, if overrated, as well. I would put those ahead of Killer Mike which I still liked. Even Cruel Summer has some really good stuff although it's followed by a lot of forgettable half-assedry

    Yeah, this is the first year in, like, ever that I'll have more R&B and hip-hop albums than rock albums in my top ten or fifteen.

    You should check out Angel Haze's Reservation.
    avatar
    Stephen77

    Posts : 79
    Points : 1919
    Reputation : 76
    Fav. Community Ep. : Calligraphy or Mixology: you can't make me choose!
    Age : 26
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by Stephen77 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:33 pm

    stingo wrote:
    Stephen77 wrote:This is a really really good year for R&B in my opinion. Frank Ocean obviously set the bar very high with Channel Orange and I don't think anyone has surpassed that. But Elle Varner and Miguel have both released excellent material ("Refill" and "Adorn" are stand out tracks for the entire 2012 year) and now I've been listening to Solange Knowles' EP True which is fantastic as well.

    I think hip-hop has had a solid year too. Love Azealia Banks and Serengeti the most. I really liked the new The Coup album and Kendrick Lamar's album was solid, if overrated, as well. I would put those ahead of Killer Mike which I still liked. Even Cruel Summer has some really good stuff although it's followed by a lot of forgettable half-assedry

    Yeah, this is the first year in, like, ever that I'll have more R&B and hip-hop albums than rock albums in my top ten or fifteen.

    You should check out Angel Haze's Reservation.

    Will do!
    avatar
    thebongoes

    Posts : 23
    Points : 1764
    Reputation : 11
    Fav. Community Ep. : Remedial Chaos Theory
    Age : 23
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by thebongoes on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:57 pm

    Three albums really stood out to me this year (in that, I listened to them more than pretty much anything else)

    Grizzly Bear- Shields
    Jack White- Blundebuss
    The Shins- Port of Morrow
    avatar
    Stephen77

    Posts : 79
    Points : 1919
    Reputation : 76
    Fav. Community Ep. : Calligraphy or Mixology: you can't make me choose!
    Age : 26
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by Stephen77 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:02 pm

    Speaking of great R&B, when's that god damn D'Angelo album supposed to come out?
    avatar
    kingairwick

    Posts : 39
    Points : 1802
    Reputation : 30
    Fav. Community Ep. : Regional Holiday Music
    Age : 27
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by kingairwick on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:58 pm

    glazomaniac wrote:free design:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPaAb3F_d6M

    I have been meaning to listen to more Free Design. I have "I Found Love" and I absolutely adore it.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Best of 2012

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:19 pm