AV Club Communists

Login to your account to post in this board!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

AV Club Communists

Login to your account to post in this board!

AV Club Communists

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest topics

» Slings & Arrows (Spoilers)
by kingairwick Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 am

» General Comics || Spoilers
by Chicanery Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 am

» This Board Is Moving
by affrosponge88 Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 am

» The Dark Knight Rises
by tym218 Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:40 pm

» ATLAS SHRUGGED
by pulpcomics Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 pm

» Wes Anderson
by Semi-bored torontonian Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 am

» What are you listening to?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm

» What are you watching this holiday season?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 pm

» Homicide: Life on the Street
by digifreak642 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 pm

» Likes No Longer Visible
by affrosponge88 Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:29 pm

+3
kingairwick
The Narrator Returns
Stephen77
7 posters

What's the Last Film You've Watched? (And Rate or Discuss It)

Stephen77
    Stephen77

Fav. Community Ep. : Calligraphy or Mixology: you can't make me choose!

What's the Last Film You've Watched? (And Rate or Discuss It) Empty What's the Last Film You've Watched? (And Rate or Discuss It)

Post by Stephen77 Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:32 pm

Discuss the latest film(s) you've watched.
    The Narrator Returns
    The Narrator Returns

Fav. Community Ep. : Paradigms of Human Memory

What's the Last Film You've Watched? (And Rate or Discuss It) Empty Re: What's the Last Film You've Watched? (And Rate or Discuss It)

Post by The Narrator Returns Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:59 pm

In theaters:
    Silver Linings Playbook- Very enjoyable. A crowd-pleaser that doesn't insult your intelligence. And I may have underestimated Bradley Cooper's acting abilities.

Lincoln- Surprisingly funny. Lincoln's endless stories never ceased to be hilarious. Also there were surprisingly few "Spielbergian" touches; he just sits back and lets the Tony Kushner dialogue unfold naturally.

Wreck-It Ralph- Wow. Certainly one of the most entertaining movies I've seen this year (which is a fantastic year for movies, by the way), but it's also one of the funniest, sweetest, and most well-constructed.

Flight- This movie is the thing(s) Vice Dean Laybourne was going through. But he's backstage behind Denzel Washington, who really deserves an Oscar nom for his role as an alcoholic pilot who lands a failing plane while intoxicated. The plane crash scene might be the scariest thing I've seen all year. I do wish the film didn't go so easy on its flawed protagonist, but this isn't There Will Be Blood; it's a redemption story.

On DVD:
    Elephant- The second part in Gus Van Sant's Death Trilogy, it revolves around one high school, before and during a Columbine-like school shooting. It doesn't offer many explanations, it just lets events unnervingly unfold.

The Informant!- Starring Jeff Winger and some guy named Matt Damon. In all seriousness, though, this movie just builds to one of the funniest third acts I've seen in a movie. I also listened to director Steven Soderbergh's commentary for it (his last commentary ever).

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas- Look at my avatar. Do you think I liked this movie?
    kingairwick
    kingairwick

Fav. Community Ep. : Regional Holiday Music

What's the Last Film You've Watched? (And Rate or Discuss It) Empty Re: What's the Last Film You've Watched? (And Rate or Discuss It)

Post by kingairwick Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 am

Trips to the theater are few and far between since there's about one car for about every forty students, so I went to two shows in one day!

Wreck-It Ralph - I know I really liked it, but I'm having trouble remembering parts of it. Like, I know there were jokes that I liked and that I laughed at, but I can't for the life of me recall any of them. I enjoyed watching the 8-bit characters party, though. The wrecking scene between Ralph and Glitch stays with me.

The Man With the Iron Fists - One of my friends is a kung fu afficionado so this one was a given. I enjoyed it, but compared to other kung fus I've seen, I feel it was a little lacking. The main character didn't even get half the screen time, so I didn't really invest in his arc. Really fun to watch, and full of awesome characters. That said, I'm not so into kung fu.

I wanted to see Cloud Atlas but it's three hours long and my friends had other things to do (what losers).

In lounge is a much different story, I'm showing a movie practically every night (although not lately because of Thanksgiving):

Brick - I love this movie, it's in my top five. The script is the perfect blend of high school and noir shortcut, JGL's performance is what put him on the map to be my favorite actor, the cinematography is dark and appropriately weird. I just adore everything about it.

The Big Lebowski - The first couple of times I tried to watch, I eventually got bored or distracted and I never actually finished, although I understood the concept/famous lines. I felt like part of me just didn't really "get" it. Seeing the entire thing definitely makes me like it more, and we were able to have a film school-like discussion afterward that resonated with me. I can't say I actively like it, but I definitely appreciate it a lot more, and I'll probably watch it again multiple times.
    affrosponge88
    affrosponge88
    Admin

Fav. Community Ep. : Remedial Chaos Theory

Post by affrosponge88 Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:02 pm

I saw The Puffy Chair on Netflix Instant. My favorite film of the year is Jeff, Who Lives at Home so I took that as a sign to finally get caught up on the Duplass brothers' back catalog by checking out Baghead over the summer, which I loved as well, and now their first feature: The Puffy Chair.

While it's not their best film, and is my least favorite of the four that I've seen (Cyrusis the other), I thoroughly enjoyed this debut feature. It's real-life pacing and scripting made nothing feel forced, and I quite enjoyed watching these characters interact. Overall, I'd give it a 3/4 stars, because it was pretty great, but not quite as focused as their other films, which is to be expected.

Last edited by affrosponge88 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    DavetheDouchebag
    DavetheDouchebag

Fav. Community Ep. : Mixology Certification

Post by DavetheDouchebag Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:35 pm

I just saw Holy Motors. It's a really strange film but it's really, really fascinating to watch. Some of the images in this film are downright gorgeous, and Dennis Lavant gives an amazing performance. It's very much concerned with the medium of film itself. I need to think about this film a little more before I can discuss it more, because it's a very challenging film in many ways.
    The Narrator Returns
    The Narrator Returns

Post by The Narrator Returns Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:38 pm

I got back from Killing Them Softly, and it almost felt like a gangster movie made by David Lynch. It's more interested in critiquing American politics than showing people shooting each other. Most people will hate it, but I kind of loved it.
    affrosponge88
    affrosponge88
    Admin

Fav. Community Ep. : Remedial Chaos Theory

Post by affrosponge88 Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:06 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:I got back from Killing Them Softly, and it almost felt like a gangster movie made by David Lynch. It's more interested in critiquing American politics than showing people shooting each other. Most people will hate it, but I kind of loved it.

... That doesn't sound like David Lynch.
    DavetheDouchebag
    DavetheDouchebag

Fav. Community Ep. : Mixology Certification

Post by DavetheDouchebag Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Well, it's possible that he meant something in the style of the film's visuals or tone that evoked Lynch, and that the political critique was an aside. Not that Lynch is an entirely apolitical filmmaker of course. There's always been a level of social satire in all of his work.
    glazomaniac
    glazomaniac

Post by glazomaniac Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:17 pm

i just watched a movie that netflix called soda cracker, but imdb calls the kill reflex. it was... fairly terrible, but funny enough and entertaining. i don't recommend it.

basically, it's a blaxploitation flick with a lot of white people in it, no production values, and... to call them plotholes would be generous. it simply made no sense. the dialog failed to convey any information half the time, being repetitive and unnatural. the action was awkward, and the characterization was blunt.

also, it starred fred williamson and maud adams.
    Gauephat

Post by Gauephat Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:05 am

I watched No Country For Old Men. Was underwhelmed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm