AV Club Communists

Login to your account to post in this board!

Latest topics

» Slings & Arrows (Spoilers)
by kingairwick Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 am

» General Comics || Spoilers
by Chicanery Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 am

» This Board Is Moving
by affrosponge88 Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 am

» The Dark Knight Rises
by tym218 Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:40 pm

» ATLAS SHRUGGED
by pulpcomics Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 pm

» Wes Anderson
by Semi-bored torontonian Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 am

» What are you listening to?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm

» What are you watching this holiday season?
by kingairwick Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 pm

» Homicide: Life on the Street
by digifreak642 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 pm

» Likes No Longer Visible
by affrosponge88 Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Television Threads: What do you think?

affrosponge88
    Admin

Fav. Community Ep. : Remedial Chaos Theory

Television Threads: What do you think?

Post by affrosponge88 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm curious if anyone has an opinion they'd like to share on the way the television section is set up...

Do you like that there are "official" threads set up for discussion on a particular show, or would you rather just have free-for-all threads where you can just start one about any show you want, which would be more akin to how we talk on Disqus?
    Stephen77

Fav. Community Ep. : Calligraphy or Mixology: you can't make me choose!

Re: Television Threads: What do you think?

Post by Stephen77 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:07 pm

I, obviously, like how I've set things up in the "Television (Current Shows)" sub-forum but I'm open to suggestions. I think we should keep separate threads for just a few specific shows that we tend to discuss a bit more (maybe not New Girl though? Ben and Kate might be questionable too but it has been discussed a lot as of late). It keeps everything in one place and threads don't get pushed back several pages after a while. Of course, you'd have to sort through the pages within the thread to look for material, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

I think those threads should be pinned to the top of their forum so they don't get push down pages, if we can do that. General discussion about that particular show - discussion of new episodes for instance - should go there.

And if there's something specific people want to actually start a thread about, they are welcome to do that.

As for the general discussion thread I started, I'm less sure about that, but I think it could just be an option if anyone wants to use it. Actually, it could be used to discuss new episodes of other shows. In the same matter the show threads work.
    Stephen77

Post by Stephen77 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Also, I'll probably make a thread for Game of Thrones. That's a mighty popular show around these parts, I would think.

Edit: And I think a Bob's Burgers thread is a question mark as well.

I'm leaning towards eliminating the Bob's Burgers and New Girl threads. I'm leaning towards adding Game of Thrones and maybe keeping Ben and Kate.
    glazomaniac

Fav. Community Ep. : Paradigms of Human Memory

Post by glazomaniac on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:27 pm

i like the idea. may i also suggest a gravity falls thread so we can just say "why you ackin so cray cray?"over and over and over and over and over and over and over? because i really want to do that, all the time.
    enemynarwhal

Post by enemynarwhal on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:17 pm

glazomaniac wrote:i like the idea. may i also suggest a gravity falls thread so we can just say "why you ackin so cray cray?"over and over and over and over and over and over and over? because i really want to do that, all the time.

Done!

Capt. Blicero
    Captain

Post by Capt. Blicero on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:52 pm

How are topics archived or saved here? If you're searching for a show and it was recently canceled, you may miss topics that were in either the current TV shows board or the old one. Frankly, I don't see the need for two boards separating TV shows like that.
    affrosponge88
    Admin

Fav. Community Ep. : Remedial Chaos Theory

Post by affrosponge88 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Capt. Blicero wrote:How are topics archived or saved here? If you're searching for a show and it was recently canceled, you may miss topics that were in either the current TV shows board or the old one. Frankly, I don't see the need for two boards separating TV shows like that.

If a show finishes or gets cancelled, one of the moderators will simply move the entire thread into the "Past Shows" category. There is also a search bar at the top of the home page, where it is super easy to search by "topic" (ie. The thread name), or by "post" (ie. anytime that phrase or title gets mentioned in a post.
    UnregisteredGuyNamedEric

Fav. Community Ep. : Cooperative Calligraphy

Post by UnregisteredGuyNamedEric on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Probably an ideal scenario would be if something like Lloyd's rewatch of The Simpsons spent a couple of days as a thread on the AVC, then got moved to The Simpsons board here (IF we can find a way to transfer it cleanly and preserve each person's comments), so that the discussion can continue if 2 months from now if a lazy straggler like myself wants to join in.

On the other hand, lack of nested comments changes the nature of the conversation (it doesn't have to, but it usually does). I frequent a board in the style of this one, and while it's really great for keeping up with the newest conversation, in my experience discussions die out just as quickly as on a DISQUS board.

Just throwing in my 2 cents. I really like that we're putting this together, anyways. At this stage, I think this board and/or AVC comments sections can last as long as we want them to last.
    Stephen77

Post by Stephen77 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 pm

UnregisteredGuyNamedEric wrote:Probably an ideal scenario would be if something like Lloyd's rewatch of The Simpsons spent a couple of days as a thread on the AVC, then got moved to The Simpsons board here (IF we can find a way to transfer it cleanly and preserve each person's comments), so that the discussion can continue if 2 months from now if a lazy straggler like myself wants to join in.

On the other hand, lack of nested comments changes the nature of the conversation (it doesn't have to, but it usually does). I frequent a board in the style of this one, and while it's really great for keeping up with the newest conversation, in my experience discussions die out just as quickly as on a DISQUS board.

Just throwing in my 2 cents. I really like that we're putting this together, anyways. At this stage, I think this board and/or AVC comments sections can last as long as we want them to last.

First of all, great idea.

Second of all, in my experience, it depends on the set-up of the board really. I've been on other boards that use a similar set-up that we're using in the TV sub-forums - having separate threads for different shows. And those threads continue on and on and on and just stay there.

Other places I've been to, they tend to last not as long (like I suspect the non-stickied threads people will be making on their own will). But they tend to last longer than many of the ones on the board, especially if not as many new threads are being made (and there'll be specifically threads designated for specific things: i.e. bongoes-birdie chats). And the discussion there can always be reignited later, since it'll be much easier to go back and find the old thread.

And on the last point, I agree! The prospects of this excite me really.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:27 am